About us‎ > ‎

Getting married at St. Thomas'

If you would like to get married in church, but aren’t quite sure whether you can, or how you arrange it, this page will hopefully answer some of your questions.

wedding flowers

Who can get married at St Thomas’?

Anyone who is legally allowed to marry in the United Kingdom.

The exceptions to this are:

  • if you have been divorced, you will need to seek permission from the Bishop beforehand, (after you’ve contacted us, and we’ve had a chat); and
  • at the moment same-sex marriages are not permitted under the laws of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

Do we need to have been baptised to get married in church?

No. The main thing we ask is that a church wedding with a minister presiding and necessary references to God has meaning for you.

Is it expensive to get married here?

We currently ask for the following wedding fees:

  • £300 – use of church for wedding (including rehearsal the evening or week before, and reasonable set up on day of wedding) – we usually ask for a deposit of 50% when the wedding is officially booked;
  • £ 85 – organist fees (you may have your own musicians, but we can provide an organist if required – just let us know in plenty of time and we will put you in touch with her); and
  • £100 - clergy fees.
  • £50 - verger fees - our verger opens and shuts the church, arranges chairs and is available for any assistance required
  • £20 per bell - bellringers are usually available if booked in advance - we have 2 bells

How many people can fit into the church?

We can fit a maximum of 120 people into St Thomas'.

Can we have a look around the building before we make any decisions?

Of course. Just contact the Rector, the Rev'd Vittoria Hancock.

Who do we speak to?

If you are considering getting married at St Thomas', please contact the Rector, the Rev’d Canon Vittoria Hancock. She will arrange to meet you and have a chat. You can phone or email her - see contact us.

What do we need to arrange?

Once you have booked your wedding date in, you will need to arrange for your marriage license through the Aboyne registrar, our nearest office, within their designated time frame. The priest needs a copy of the marriage schedule, which is available through the local council office, in this case at Aboyne. You can find out more, and begin the process online at aberdeenshire.gov.uk (scroll to marriages).

You will need to talk about the details of the service with the minister – hymns, music, readings etc.. You arrange your own order of service, flowers (we usually ask that you leave one arrangement of flowers in the church after the wedding), photographer, and transport to and from the church. You will also need to arrange the reception.